Electricity back on after power outage affects areas of Cyprus – Parikiaki

The supply of electricity, which had been interrupted earlier on Friday in various areas across Cyprus due to the disruption of communication between the photovoltaic parks and the Distribution Control Centre, has been restored, the spokesperson of the Cyprus Transmission System Operator (CTSO), Chara Kousiappa, told the Cyprus News Agency (CNA).
This is a technical problem, the causes of which are being investigated, she noted, explaining that, due to the disruption of communication between the photovoltaic parks and the Distribution Control Centre, the indications sent to the Operator regarding the production of the photovoltaic parks were incorrect.
At the same time, Kousiappa said that various areas across Cyprus were affected because there was a rejection of consumer load in 6 stages. She further clarified that the supply of electricity has been restored, but the technical problem has not yet been resolved, noting that other means have been found to ensure a continuous supply of electricity.
Regarding the afternoon hours, she said that there is no expected problem in meeting the demand during the hours when the photovoltaic systems do not produce, adding that there is available production capacity to meet the demand for today. 
The Electricity Authority of Cyprus (EAC) said in a press release that it is taking measures to install backup telecommunications connections, aiming to prevent incidents of power outages in the future, following the serious disruption that occurred in the electrical system at 10:40 on Friday, resulting in the interruption of electricity supply in various areas of Cyprus for approximately one hour. 
The Authority apologised for the inconvenience caused and thanked its customers for their understanding and cooperation. “The competent departments of the EAC are taking measures to install backup telecommunications connections, aiming to prevent similar incidents in the future,” the press release concluded.
On its part, the Fire Service carried out 20 rescues from elevators across Cyprus due to the power outage.
The spokesperson for the Fire Service, Andreas Kettis, said in a post on X that “the intervention of the Fire Service was required in nine cases in the Nicosia district, eight in Limassol, two in Paphos, and one in Famagusta.” 

source

This entry was posted in Renewables. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply