Request for comments/observations/feed-back on the Draft Renewable Energy Act 2015
In October 2014, the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) had constituted an Expert Committee to provide a draft Renewable Energy Act. The Committee met on 7 November 2014, and decided to constitute a sub-group to “collate the suggestions and propose a draft Act”.
2. The sub-group has prepared a draft Renewable Energy Act for India. It broadly proposes provisions for institutional structure, supportive eco – system, economic and financial framework, constitution and operation of national and state level funds to support achieving of the objectives of the Act, and renewable energy applications including distributed and grid connected renewable electricity.
3. Comments/observations/feed-back from industry, developers, research and development institutions, policy research institutions, think tanks, academia, electrical utilities and other stakeholders are solicited on the draft Renewable Energy Act 2015 (Link) by 27 July 2015. The comments may be sent through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
This Act is broadly classified into the following sections:
1. Institutional Structure: The constitution of decision-making and advisory bodies in the
government, which ensure the development and implementation of a stable and conducive policy regime to facilitate investments for development of renewable energy sources.
2. Supportive Eco – System: The development of conducive ecosystem, which promotes the utilization of RE sources and permits investments. This includes, RE Policy and Plan, Resource assessment, policies on testing, monitoring and verification, and indigenous manufacturing of components.
3. Economic and Financial Framework: Constitution and operation of National and State level funds to support achieving of the objectives of this Act.
4. RE Applications: This section covers the application of the above described framework to two main categories of renewable sources:
a. Distributed Renewable Energy Applications and Energy Access
b. Grid connected Renewable Electricity